Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Not-So-Crafty Teacher and Anchor Charts

You can follow Tracy at her new blog: The Knit Wit Teacher



Sometimes when I'm looking around on Pinterest I end up feeling bad about my teaching or parenting ability because I am just not that crafty. I'm learning how to knit, I can crochet a bit, and I've recently learned how to make a wreath but after that I'm not so crafty.

When I see super cute Anchor charts on Pinterest my first thought is that "I can't make that!!! GRRRR" but I've learned that I can make something close. It took me a few years to realize there is another way besides chart paper.

I don't know about you, but I cannot write on chart paper. By the bottom of the chart my writing is sideways and my pictures just look wonky. This year I embraced change and started using regular size construction paper and then making an "Anchor Chart Wall". 


While I'm writing on construction paper I have my paper under my document camera and my kiddos are making the same chart in their notebooks. When we are done they then take their iPads and can screen shot our chart so they can use it at home for review without taking their notebooks home.

Now if you look closely, you can see that I am not an artist by any means. I teach my kids that we all are not artist but we do the best we can. Don't worry if your picture is different than mine, just do your best.

I know my papers are not spaced evenly and I'm not sure how my OCD has tolerated that this long but it just shows we all aren't perfect, regardless of how it seems on Pinterest!

How do you do Anchor Charts in your classroom?

-Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment